The Community Foundation for Independence’s mission is “Building for the future of our community”.
CFFI is a not-for-profit 501 (c) 3 organization allowing for tax deductive donations for endowed and non-endowed funds. The tax deductions are allowed for the year in which the gift was made. CFFI in-turn provides funds for various charitable organizations and projects throughout Independence.
- Endowed – to provide with a permanent source of income.
- Non-endowed – a non-endowed fund does not operate in perpetuity, meaning that the assets generated by donated gifts are not permanent nor invested.
Donors may give to an already established fund or directly their contribution to a new specified causer or purpose. All funds have guidelines set as to how the money can be distributed and for what purpose. The directors of the foundations will then distribute the funds as directed.
Advantages of donating through CFFI:
- We simplify charitable giving
- Gifts may be in any forms: cash, stocks, real estate, etc.
- Provisions of tax benefits
- Funds can be redirected due to the changing needs of the community
- Earned interest on the pooled funds increases your contributions over time
- Donors can avoid the cost of setting up a private foundation
- Anonymous giving options are available
- You choose when and what you would like to donate and CFFI will take care of the details